Hi there!! If you are stopping by via Pinterest or from another link, thanks so much for coming! And, while you're at it, take a look around...there's lots of fun stuff to see!
Superhero Cape Tutorial (from a Superhero birthday):
1) Lay shirt flat with back facing up. Cut out the back of the shirt along the outside seams of the body and arm holes, cut along the inside of the seam along the yoke.
2) Next, remove the collar: cut below the collar band approximately 1”, and then remove the pointed part of the collar by cutting just above the collar band.
3) Place the two front parts of the shirt that are remaining with the wrong sides facing each other (button plackets aligning). Cut across the fabric just below the pocket.
4) The front part of the shirt is used to make the hood. Measure 15” up from the bottom hem of the shirt and cut. Next cut the fabric to 8 ½” wide from the front edge of the button placket. Remove buttons, be careful not to cut a whole in the fabric.
5) For the cape part: fold the seams on the sides of the shirt toward the wrong side once, iron and then fold again and iron well, edge stitch the sides, remember to back stitch at the beginning and the end.
6) Next, attach the collar band to the cape: Fold the unfinished edge of the collar band toward the wrong side ¼”, iron; fold again ¼” and iron. Repeat the same process with the unfinished edge of the cape. Place the right side of the collar band and the cape together pinning the newly folded edges together. When pinning, line up the center of the band with the center of the cape, pin the center first and work your way out to one edge and then the other (you may need to fold a couple of little pleats in to make it fit). Sew together with a 1/8” seam allowance, remember to back stitch at the beginning and the end.
7) For the hood: Fold the long side of unfinished edge of the shirt front toward the wrong side ¼”, iron, fold again ¼” and iron. Place the shirt front pieces right sides together and pin along the shirt hem side and the newly folded edge.
Sew together with and 1/8” seam allowance, remember to back stitch at the beginning and the end. After sewing the hood together fold the unfinished edge of the bottom of the hood toward the wrong side ¼”, iron, fold again ¼” and iron. Beginning at the center of the hood and the center of cape, pin along the seam where the collar band and cape are attached and work your way out to one side and then the other. The hood will not be as long as the collar.
8) Now the basic cape is completed, now the fun part of adding emblems and other fun things to make it suits your super hero just right, enjoy!
PS. if you try this and have questions feel free to contact me!! Also, feel free to share pictures of your little superheros!
Please share your pictures at my Flickr group!