I really love the Summersville for one side, it sort of gives the illusion of a colorful straw hat, I think.
In fact, Violet's hat has all THREE of her favorite colors, pink, purple, and turquoise!
I made Henry's hat following the directions, except that I used Jessica's no hand stitching method (no hand stitching for Violet's either). And for Violet's hat, I added a bit extra to the brim as Jessica did here, except that I only added an additional 1" instead of her 1.5". I was afraid that it might be a bit too floppy, thus the 1" verses 1.5". The only other difference between the two is that I used sew-in interfacing for Violet's hat (double layer of light interfacing) and a single layer of medium fusible interfacing for Henry's hat. Why two different kinds of interfacing you may ask?...Simply because I was scrounging for it! I never seem to have enough or the right kind of interfacing sitting around :( Anywho, the fusible interfacing is definitely much easier to manage, especially when you use the no hand stitching method. The fusible interfacing makes it easier to have all the layers fit just so after you turn the hat right side out. Aside from lots and lots of pinning and many little triangles snipped to get the sides and brim attached without puckering, the hat is super easy to put together.
And the best part, well, of course it is that they LOVE wearing their hats!! Hooray! At least their heads are ready for the beach! ;) I better go get the rest of everything else ready!!