As I mentioned yesterday...often times Halloween costumes get chosen months and months before Halloween around here...and then they proceed to change about a thousand times in between!
Well, such is the case with Henry...initially he too was to be a park ranger and then a teenage mutant ninja turtle, and a boxing gorilla...and probably a few others in the there as well...but since September his mind was set...Luke Skywalker.
But not just any Luke Skywalker, specifically elder Luke from the very last scenes of "The Force Awakens"...
I'm not sure what it was that drew him to elder Luke exactly, though, I'm absolutely certain that the idea of getting a green light saber for his costume might have something to do with it.
But, hey, who knows...maybe it was the beard!
Though, that's probably not it. While the beard is adorable and makes him look the part even more so, it didn't make it through entire events because those things are itchy! I can attest to that!
Whatever it was...he was thrilled with his choice in the end! Who can blame him, it is a pretty amazing costume, not to mention cozy, comfy and warm!
The robes, vest and hooded cape are made from layers of white and tea stained (by me) linen fabrics from Jo-Ann using the same McCall's costume pattern I used for Violet's wizard cape a few years back. For the tee I used Made by Rae's Flashback skinny tee pattern in simple cream colored knit (the same I used for these glow in the dark pajamas).
The pants are the Noa pants from Compagnie M. pieced together using my leftover linen pieces...
I'd been wanting to make a pair of these pants since the pattern was released, but had yet to get to it, their looseness along with the tapered leg seemed perfect for elder Luke. But, the part that Henry really loves are the pockets, of course!
Over top of the pants we also slid two leg "cuffs" made with linen strips sewn onto jersey scraps. The belt was another perfect thrift store find, with a piece of cardstock affixed for the buckle and a borrow pocket knife case attached as well.
It all came together fairly quickly, except the part where I got so confused by all of the linen pieces that I ended up cutting three front leg pieces and only one back leg piece and didn't realize until I'd already sewn much of the pants together. It was easily fixable though. Henry, too, got a fake leather drawstring sack bag that seemed "Luke appropriate" for his candy gathering, though it didn't make the photos.
Of course, now, I come to the "Rey part" because what would that final scene with elder Luke be without Rey?
You might remember reading before that I'm not really a Star Wars fan, not that I don't enjoy watching the movies, it's just I'm not a super fan, like some others in our house! But, in the spirit of Halloween...well, and the fact that Rey is a badass character, I agreed to be Henry's Star Wars accomplice.
And I'm not going to lie...it was fun!
The arm bands are the same as Henry's "leg cuffs" and were made using strips of leftover linen sewn onto jersey knit and then sewn into a tube...easy peasy, and thank goodness for them because they were much needed in order to not fully freeze on Halloween night!
The belt is an extra large belt from Target that I sewed some additional strapping onto in order for it to double all the way around my hips.
I, too got a little satchel sewn, using the leftover pieces of Violet's thrifted shirt and attached it to the belt. I didn't get a great picture of it, but it worked perfectly for stashing my phone and the occasional piece of candy that sometimes even parents get when they dress up for Halloween!
As it turned out, while not quite as warm as Henry's, this costume was super comfy to wear. Almost pajama-like, which was awesome especially since the day before Halloween I had been running around running marathons and coaching soccer...so day after pjs was a big score! But aside from being comfy...by far my favorite part of it was the staff!
The staff was the last part of Halloween costumes to be made...but certainly not the least important! I started with a piece of bamboo that I salvaged on my way home on a walk...I know that sounds random, but there are random spots of bamboo growing around here, think quick privacy fences and traffic noise muffling I suppose. Anywho, after a bit of searching on the internet for DIY Rey staffs I saw some that were crazy detailed and some that were sort of just cobbled together. I did not have time for crazy detail so cobbled together it was!
Bits of plumping parts, chair leg protectors, craft foam, wire, electrical tape and more...coated with black spray paint and then quickly brushed with a bit of bronze paint. It was the most fun and random project! I added the shoulder strap, tea stained cotton webbing, with purse hardware that was already in my stash and bits of fake leather wrapped around and glued. More linen strips scraps were added in the middle and tada, done!
Super fun to wield around and pretend fight with!
Of course, even Rey can't be serious all the time...well of course she can, but not I!
I do apologize for all of the pictures! It was just too hard to not add them all in! We had so much fun pretending, Henry and I, that we were in fact Luke and Rey. Henry, in particular, the moment he got into his costume also got into character!
Ready, always to wield his green light saber and be a Jedi!
Happy Halloween! Until next year!