Last weekend I found myself stitching up a last minute little baby gift while in the car traveling to meet said baby for the first time. He's already got several handmades from me, but how can one resist bringing a little gift when meeting a little babe for the first time! Seriously, he was adorable! Plus, I got to see many other friends and their kiddos too, it was a fun visit. Anywho, all this baby talking reminded me that I hadn't shared this fantastic roundup of DIY baby gifts that I originally posted on Small + Friendly for her Baby Fever series...So, today, I'm bringing it home.
Hello there! I am Jane and I blog over at Buzzmills. I am thrilled to be here sharing Carla's space with her, but even more excited about her little family growing and getting to see some itty bitty baby toes and fingers around here! Don't you just love the mini-ness of babies!
Speaking of itty bitty and tiny...today I'd like to share some of my favorite mini makes for babies. Making for baby is a ton of fun, usually quick, and often doesn't use up much fabric. Here are some of my favorites for baby making, whether you are making for your own baby or for someone else's...
1. One of my favorite items of clothing to put babies in (especially newborns) is a gown. Gowns allow super easy diaper access and you don't have to fumble around with snaps and wrangling those tiny limbs into and out of pants. "Growing up Sew Liberated" , by Meg McElwee has a simple gown pattern in it, perfect for making your own gowns. There are also several other patterns in her book that are perfect for baby too from bubble pants to crossover sweatshirts to baby leggings. 2. Baby bibs, you can't have too many! Bibs catch dribbles and drools and food, all of which there will be plenty of! This is one of my favorite bib patterns. It is simple and quick and can be customized however you'd like. I back mine with organic terry cloth which is so soft and absorbent. Pocket bibs made from laminates are perfect for babies as they begin to try eating solids.
3. A cozy teddy bear hood. Who can resist a baby in a cute animal hat! Making hats is one of my favorite things to do and seeing babies in them simply makes my heart melt! This hood pattern is from Oliver + S Little Things to Sew, it takes a lot of pattern and fabric cutting, but isn't hard to sew and the end result is so, so cute! You'll find more fun sewing projects for baby, toddlers and kids in the book as well!
4. A sun bonnet. Another hat, I said that they were one of my favorites. This bonnet pattern from Made by Rae will keep that little baby skin protected on those sunny days and keep the wind from whipping around in the cool Spring/Fall.
5. Baby beach ball. This little baby ball is perfect for using up scraps of fabric. Have fun with it and add in some different textures for baby's hands to explore. 6. Itty bitty baby fancy pants leggings. These are some of my son's absolute favorites! They sew up so quickly and, in the baby size, are too cute to resist!
7. A matching baby outfit. Making a complete outfit for baby isn't hard to do. Start with fabric that you love and make a simple pair of baby pants. This free baby pants pattern is so simple and fast that you can whip up several pair in an hour! Stitch a simple applique onto a store bought shirt. And then to "top it all off" sew up a sweet and simple knit baby cap! 8. Burps cloths, like bibs, you can never have too many. They don't need to be fancy, but it's nice if they look it, it makes the clean up a little more bearable! 9. A fabric basket is great for diapers, wipes and diaper cream in the nursery or anywhere in the house. It's also helpful as a catch all for little baby toys and what nots. The Divided Basket Pattern from Noodlehead is such a fantastic pattern, pockets on the outside and handles to tote from here to there.
I really loved making each of the projects above. The patterns/tutorials were great and the results were adorable!
I'm not sure about you, but, if you are anything like me making for baby is so much fun it's nearly impossible to stop sewing up mini makes!
So, just in case the projects above weren't enough for you, here are some more to keep your sewing machine stitching tiny cuteness! Natty Janes, leather baby shoes, Delia Creates / Diaper Covers, Made / Nursing Pillow Cover, Made by Rae (photo from Made By Rae used with permission) / Baby Boot Pattern, Lenas Shoe Patterns / Sleeveless onesie, Omi Creates / Diaper Bag, Bubala / baby mittens, speckled owl studio / Crib Sheets, Made / Baby Pants, the Purl Bee / Huggable Star Pillows, Buzzmills / Sleep Angel, Buzzmills / Pom pom trimmed Blanket, Buzzmills / Bapron Pattern, Craftiness is not Optional / Baby Coat (pattern from Handmade Beginnings) , Buzzmills.
There are so, so many wonderful things to be handmade for baby, whether it be for your baby or for someone else's, find a bit of fabric and time and whip something up!
*Warning, if you are sewing up little duds for someone else, use caution as it may cause you to wish that you were pregnant!
Thanks for having me Carla, enjoy the teeny tiny new baby goodness!